nafex - Re: [NAFEX] tree syrup

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] tree syrup
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:41:39 -0600

I've made hickory syrup by boiling nutshell fragments & husks from shagbark, shellbark, and mockernut hickories, straining the 'liquor', adding sugar and cooking down to desired thickness. Others have done the same thing by boiling strips of the exfoliating bark of shagbark hickory trees.

Seems like I saw an article in one of the recent Proceedings of the annual meeting of the NNGA, where someone detailed a taste test comparison between maple syrup made from sugar maple and syrup made from boxelder, black walnut, and, (maybe) butternut.
I may not recall this correctly, but I think the black walnut syrup was the winner, with boxelder at #2, and sugar maple in third place.

Lucky