nafex - [NAFEX] musk strawberries

  • From: <kbrubaker@nc.rr.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] musk strawberries
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:31:06 -0500

The musk strawberries offered by Raintree Nursery and a few other sites are
an interesting berry that I will give another try this year. They live up to
their description as one of the best flavored strawberries I have ever had.

At the time, only the Profumata and Capron cultivars were available, now
Raintree is offering a male musk strawberry plant this year. I had bought
one plant each of the profumata and capron and let them runner to expand the
plot. They grew to over 100 plants after the first season and filled a
60'x4' bed after the second full growing season. We had great crops those
years, but then the next year all the flowers failed to form fruit. The year
after was the same so removed the patch. I had assumed a disease was the
culprit, or they suffered from a similar reduction in fruiting vigor that
standard strawberries suffer from after a few years.

After seeing the male plant offering, I realized I had also relocated my
Tristar and Seascape patch further away from the musk strawberry patch the
year that I saw the flowers fail to set. It hadn't occured to me that the
two varieties might not be able to fully pollinate each other.
*sigh*

Kurt
Durham, NC