nafex - [NAFEX] 10 fav hard apples

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] 10 fav hard apples
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:19:16 -0500

I wasn't going to answer this because I'm in southeastern NY and am no authority on the relative quality of apples in the west.  However I do have some knowledge of what is being grown over their and it's kinda slow here so I thought I'd throw something out there.

I sympathize with anyone not enamored of Macintosh types- for me serious apple eating season doesn't begin until Nov and most of the Mac types loose texture by then, or shortly after, making them close to worthless for me.  Even in season only Macoun brings me much pleasure and Macintosh, Liberty, Cortlandt and the like just aren't my cup of tea.   I like apples harder and denser with higher brix.  This doesn't necessarily mean sweet because some apples balance out ample sugar with acid and are tart and have as much brix as Fuji.  Goldrush is such an apple as grown here where it's pretty tart.

Anyway, here's a list of apples that suit me.  My evaluations change every season as I experience new types and learn more about older ones.  Plus, my own tastes change.  This is a pretty good mix from sweet to tart.

Early, I like Ginger Gold.  When the seeds aren't ripe it is a pretty good tart and eventually becomes sweet.  Before that, Williams Pride is good, but it is a Mac type (a little like Macoun, but not quite as good).

In Sept. I like Jonathon, Ashmeads Kernel, Honeycrisp, Kidd's Orange Red (a lot like Cox but easier to grow) and Tompkins King.

In Oct. I like Hudson's Golden Gem, Jonagold, Baldwin (don't try it where it's hot), and Roxbury Russet.  Maybe Stayman and Cameo should also be on this list.  Cameo impressed me out of storage this year and Stayman is so reliable and quite good.

In early Nov I like Braeburn, Goldrush, Pink Lady and Arkansas Black.  Fuji when I have a sweet toothe.

There's a lot of apples I haven't tried (a few thousand?) and a few that aren't coming to mind at the moment.  I will die before I'm an expert even though I spend every working day with fruit trees and some of my leisure as well.  Ripening dates will be much different elsewhere- trees bud out here in early April.

  • [NAFEX] 10 fav hard apples, Alan Haigh, 01/25/2009