nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Adara Interstem

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Adara Interstem
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:53:38 -0600

In regard to your message.

------- Fowler Nurseries, Newcastle, California has the Spanish plum that they plan to use as a interstem between plums and sweet cherries. In Spain it is in use now as a rootstock and a interstem. They do not however offer it to the public. Maybe in the future.

------- I will have 50 Nemaguard peach rootstocks grafted with the Z stem interstem from Dave Wilson Nursery delivered here sometime in the next month. I contracted for them last spring. If anyone wants 1, 2 or 10 I would be happy to sell them for my cost plus shipping. I contracted for them with the idea of getting the Texas commercial fruit growers interested in growing sweet cherries. I could not get Dave Wilson Nursery to put their sweet cherries on anything but Citation (with the Z stem Interstem) but they agreed to graft 50 on peach rootstock on a contract. I think this is the best combination for Texas and the south. I will also have scionwood of the better low chill varieties available to go with the rootstocks but it might be better to grow them for a year before grafting them. Budding might be a good choice later in the summer though.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard