nafex - [NAFEX] Prohibited grapes?

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: NAFEx <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Prohibited grapes?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:53:12 -0500

There was a mention of Somerset Seedless grapes recently. I was looking around the web to see who sold them.
I ended up looking at the Raintree Nursery site (they didn't list Somerset Seedless). I started looking at their list of available cultivars
http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/searchresults.cfm
and noticed most of their grapes had some notation such as PROHIB TO NY & CA. Since I live in NY state, I'm wondering when this happened. Does NY (for example) prohibit the sale of certain grape cultivars but allow others? Why?
Some are prohibited on Oregon but not in NY or CA. Some are prohibited in NY and other states but no problem in OR. Why are some states afraid of some cultivars and other states afraid of different cultivars. Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Steve in the Adirondacks