nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pecan alleopathy

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pecan alleopathy
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:17:49 -0600

At 04:01 PM 1/11/2009, Alan wrote:
If you have never seen a correlation with pecan and stunted growth of peaches I am really at a loss on this one.
Alan, I qualified my statement that I'd not noticed any effect by saying that I might not have recognized it, if it had been present. 40 years ago, if I'd been aware of juglone, I wouldn't have sited the pomegranates that close to that black walnut - though, in retrospect, even without the presence of the walnut, the 100+yr old Stuart & Mahan pecans absolutely had - and still have - roots intermingled with those of the poms.
The last of those old white 'Indian' peaches(really just an unimproved Belle of GA, resulting from my grandmother pitching pits into the fencerow) finally gave up the ghost within the last year or two - but I'll bet it was over 50 years old.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY