nafex - [NAFEX] Aronia Nero or Viking

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Aronia Nero or Viking
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:58:28 -0800

Hello Guys;

I am looking for Aronia plants, cheap. Nero or Viking.
I need about a dozen or so to trial in Maine.
Saint Lawrence sells bare root, 10 for $60. Not Bad.
Anybody got a cheaper source?

Has anybody done business with Sandusky Valley Nursery?

I was driving out of the supermarket parking lot, and saw this 24" shrub loaded with big black berries. The plant was in good health, and the berries were free of bugs. These plants were neglected. I snapped off a small branch, and found out it was Aronia using the web. As far as eating them fresh, I wouldn't cross the street for a mouthful, but, like Elderberry, I can absolutely see it making a super jelly.
I make apple wine a lot. Dried Elderberries turns it into a whole new animal, completely unrecognizable as apple, but an excellent drink. Yes, it's ameliorated up to 13% ABV, and back sweetened a tad. Aronia will probably creat another wonder-wine that my friends will guzzle willingly.

Murph