nafex - [NAFEX] Malus ranetks seed

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Malus ranetks seed
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 17:21:47 -0600

I have six large ranetka trees. I bought ten ranetka rootstocks from
Bear Creek Nursery and planted them but never used them for
grafting.and let them mature. These trees are very hardy and the cold
doesn't bother them. I never planted their seed but seedlings come
up every spring which we mow down. Each tree produces large numbers
of crabapples every year. Each tree produces a different size apple
which wildlife love. I see there are still apples higher than deer
can reach on several trees. It has been -37 F here a number of times
this winter. Will seeds germinate after being on the tree in cold?
I cut four trees down and used them for stooling which was
successful. Much better than growing from seed.