nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nursery culture

  • From: "Matt Demmon" <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nursery culture
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 16:19:13 -0500

I would definitely grow them in containers, because farm markets are
all about spontaneous purchasing, and it will be more difficult to get
customers to order bareroot in advance and pickup later. I can't even
imagine digging trees and bringing them to market to try and sell
them! Then bringing home a bundle of bareroots and trying to figure
out what to do with them. Pots can be sold and planted any time of
year, and held over for sales later in the year if they don't sell one
week.

I also think that market customers are willing to purchase something a
little smaller, if it looks healthy, is reasonably sized, and cheaper
than trees at the nursery. Most trees at local nurseries are sold
huge, and for huge prices ($50 up to hundreds). If you can produce a
stout, 2-3 foot straight-trunked tree in a gallon pot with a good root
system, and charge $20 or less for it, I imagine you could do quite
well. If they're too small, they won't survive well because of
herbivores, and if they're too big, your costs and weight go up a lot.