nafex - Re: [NAFEX] agronimy question: soil for blueberries

  • From: "JAMES ELIE" <tomelzear@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] agronimy question: soil for blueberries
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 09:45:18 -0800

Hey Alan,

I cannot recall the source but, I believe that somewhere online are the results of a study on soil preferences for blueberries.  Basically, it said that blueberries disliked calcium and loved magnesium in their soil.   You did mention that you were preparing the soil for blueberries and strawberries. With the low calcium levels, you may want to maintain them  in the area where the blueberry beds are going.

If anyone out there can help with recalling the source of that study,  it could be of value in this situation.

Best of luck with all your growing.  Preparing growing beds can be a very big deal, especially with blueberries.

Jim Elie
Green Bay WI
zone 4/5