nafex - [NAFEX] Sodic soil

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sodic soil
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 10:00:52 -0600

Alan Haigh asked: "The textbook I'm looking at defines a sodic soil of having an SAR of the saturation extract of 13 or more but has low salt content. My soil samples show very low levels of sodium and calcium but high pH. I'm just guessing that they are sodic soils for lack of an alternative explanation. What is driving up the pH of these soils?

Alan,
There is something in that soil that you are not testing for, compounds separate from the usual soil test. There are three approaches to follow. 1). Test for Alkaline Earth Metals, Strontium, Barium, Radium. 2). Failing that, test for Lithium, Rubidium, Cesium. 3). What I would do first would be to check with former owners asking if industrial waste may have been dumped there.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Sodic soil, Jim Fruth, 01/03/2009