nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Agronomy question

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Agronomy question
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 10:06:23 -0500

Alan,
Suggestions for your sites:
1)  Are you sure of pH 7.6?  Is it confirmed by more than one test/lab?  Are the plants thriving there indicative of a basic pH?  I submitted multiple soil samples for our new farm; one came back pH 7.6.  But the broomsedge thriving on that steep hillside indicates a lower pH.  Our NRCS contact suggests testing that hillside again.

2)  Can't remember the details, but certain Vaccinium species can thrive in basic pH.  Some NAFEXers or Southern Fruit Fellowship folks have reported grafts of commercial blueberry cultivars on such rootstocks adapted to basic soils.  Is Lee Sharp one such case?  I have also seen wild strawberries (Fragaria) on a variety of soils.  Are certain cultivars more tolerant of

3)  For certain sites, it may be easier to remove unsuitable soil and replace it with suitable soil.  My father removed ~2 ft of heavy clay subsoil, filled the area (~200 sq ft) with rotted sawdust and sand, and has had blueberries there for over 40 years.  Only addition has been more organic matter, usually leaves or sawdust.  How deep is the offending soil layer at your two sites?

4)  Soil swap.  It may be that the high pH soil could be mixed with low pH soil at another site, and the resultant mix improve the soil at both sites.  (Remember that the pH scale is logarithmic, in determining proportions of mix.)  The pH of several batches could be tested on site, to determine the proportions.  Some mineral amendments may still be needed.

Good luck,
Richard Moyer
Castlewood, VA
Moving gooseberry and currant plants today.

Message: 1