nafex - [NAFEX] relative flavor of paw paws

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] relative flavor of paw paws
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 13:39:51 -0500

David wrote  "I once walked with fellow fruit-nut friend Stuart Wilson through a paw paw
experimental seedling orchard at the Wye Station on the eastern shore of
Maryland.  We sampled fallen fruit.  We couldn't tell ANY difference in taste/quality
of the flesh from tree to tree.  I admit though, that our taste buds were saturated
quickly, and we didn't use anything to "clear our palates" between trees."
That contradicts my own limited experience with paw paws.  I have 2 grafted varieties, I think Sunflower and Overlease and the one I assume to be Sunflower (much later ripening) tastes better to me but these 2 contrast minimally compared to the huge improvement both show over 2 seedling trees I had planted several years prior that were mostly seed and little fruit.

---------- Original