nafex - Re: [NAFEX] late peaches

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] late peaches
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 14:20:29 -0800

Sorry about your back!

I have a very late cling peach that grows in my yard.  I have no idea of the variety since it came with the house.  It grew a huge crop this year, so much that branches broke (I didn't thin as much as I should have).  I didn't get to taste any of it, though, as it's so late-cropping that I was on a trip in Autumn when they were finally ripe in mid-October or so (in a marine Berkeley, CA climate).

It is susceptible to leaf curl and possibly to brown rot as well.  But it tastes quite nice.  In a climate that gets more heat than we do, I could see it developing peak peach flavor.

I'd be happy to send scions to folks if they provide the postage.