nafex - [NAFEX] late peaches

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] late peaches
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:58:27 -0500

I'm crippled at the moment with an aching back- out for the first time in several years and right before a snowstorm so there's not a lot to do but wait a few more days for the muscles to un-freeze.  It makes me wish there was more going on on the list just to kill time on something that interests me.  Guess I'll just throw a topic out there- late peaches.

Around southeastern NY Z6 most of the peach crop has been harvested by about Sept. 10 with the last of the Elbertas or similar timed varieties.  If conditions are right though, which has been the case in recent seasons, another crop is possible from the next latest cultivars which can crop peaches for another 10 days or so.  If these peaches are picked hard-ripe and stored in the fridge you can be eating delicious tree-ripe peaches for an additional 2 or 3 weeks by pulling them out of the fridge and softening them at room temp as you need them.  Later peaches seem to store better.

The 2 varieties I grow for this purpose are Autumn Glo and Encore.  I harvested a lot of Encores for the first time this year because I have long been satisfied with Aut. Glo which seems to produce a much larger peach and is more favored by commercial growers around here.

Judging from my first sampling of Encore I think I'm going to prefer it.  It seems to be a richer and more flavorful peach although both types are very good.  I also suspect Encore will be less prone to brown rot for which A G is a real magnet because the Encore is more acidic with more concentrated sugars (less watery).  Anyone out there with experience with these or other similarly timed peaches?