nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cox's Orange Pippin

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cox's Orange Pippin
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:49:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi Martha,

I am wondering what you define as a "cool summer" and a "short season? I
planted a Cox's Orange Pippin in a fit of sentimentalism: as a teen I worked
summers in a fruit stand in Southern B.C. and fell in love with the then very
unpopular apple. I'm wondering if the extreme cold we get will kill it's
blossom buds or if the short seasons we have will be too short to ripen it's
apples and would love to hear your input.

My Cox is grafted onto either Beautiful Arcade or Antonovka and I planted it
the spring of 2006. As a whip, it came through the winter of 2006-07
surviving -45 C/F, not counting the wind chill. Not bad for a tender zone 5
tree! It lost only the terminal bud and then took off like crazy this summer
which all kinds of heat records ( I think we stopped just short of 100 F).

Sarah
zone 3b
outside Edmonton, Alberta

> I am in high elevation (7,400ft) New Mexico. Cool Summers
> with a short season. Cox does well here. I was under the
> impression that it is limited both by summer heat and winter
> hardiness where it is cool enough in the summer, therefor
> hard to grow in most places without a large body of water
> moderating the temperatures. Theoretically we occasionally
> get test winters with -30, I haven't been here long
> enough, so far most winters the low is -10.
>
> Martha

  • [NAFEX] Cox, Martha L. Davis, 12/16/2008
    • Re: [NAFEX] Cox, Naomi Counides, 12/16/2008
    • Re: [NAFEX] Cox's Orange Pippin, Sarah Kehler Ewing, 12/17/2008