nafex - [NAFEX] Cox

  • From: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cox
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:40:52 -0500 (EST)

> On Dec 14, 2008, at 8:29 PM, derry&bill wrote:
>
> I've received an email from a home gardener in Minnesota. She grew up in
> Switzerland and her father had a few apple trees. She wants to know:
>
> 1) if Glockenapfel, Belle de Boskoop and/or Cox's Orange will grow in
> zone 4

I am in high elevation (7,400ft) New Mexico. Cool Summers with a short
season. Cox does well here. I was under the impression that it is limited
both by summer heat and winter hardiness where it is cool enough in the
summer, therefor hard to grow in most places without a large body of water
moderating the temperatures. Theoretically we occasionally get test winters
with -30, I haven't been here long enough, so far most winters the low is -10.

Martha