nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 71, Issue 38

  • From: "Heath Flax" <8orge.onx@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 71, Issue 38
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 06:02:41 -0500

> Message: 3rom: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
> Subject: Re: [NAFEX] I need Aronia melanocarpa

> Thanks to all who responded.
>
> Lon, the Aronia fruit I had before were quite pleasant when eaten fresh and
> it made wonderful Jelly.
>
> Donna, the comments about your Aronia are encouraging so I should be able to
> replace what I lost by grubbing out my previous plants.

Hi,
just wanted to jump in here before the Aronia thread perhaps
completes, with a bit of defense--despite that I at least somewhat
concur with drawbacks, at least sometimes with this dark or black
offering from nature--at least all to speak of in my experience, is
with the wild ones.
My setting for comment, would, admittedly, be mostly the recent (in my
area, Northeast, specifically Massachusetts) wet-tending years we;ve
been having,which have also mostly happened to additionally be not
only still rather sunny, but reasonably warm to hot.
The shiny black Aronia berries,which often enough almost smother-cover
the perimeter especially of the bushes (less tendency of them, to have
many of the berries half hidden down in the body of the plant, than
with many other berries), in the best years to me seem to get very
big, impressively tasty with muskiness and tartness, as well as a
notably firmer texture over , say blueberries (my all time favorite,
probably, as well as my biggest planting, best selling market offering
and biggest propagation and experimenting/developing focus--so I'm
really not knocking blueberries, nor, I think, likely biased in
_favor_ of Aronia over, for example, blueberries).
Big, shiny, very intact (few bug nibbled, or shriveled/wrinkled)
copiously produced tasty berries--how to resist? In my case I mostly
"have" to, since I wouldn't falsely label anything, and so far it'd
seem a label or description, "Aronia berries", would probably decimate
marketability; meaning stateside of course, not Russia or elsewhere
where I imagine they may in some areas be a sort of "regular" fruit.

Again, I don't doubt that some may be put off by their I guess usual
slight astringency, or that sometimes, such as in some less than quite
favorable growing years, there may be some blandness or other lacking.

At least some years though, very very attractive to look at, both
berries and bush, and perhaps with superlatives like unique if not
overpowering flavor, firm texture that doesn't shrink much from
squashing and dehydration as much as some other berries, and so,
maybe, to some of us, potential distinct overall potential, if not
certain, winsomeness, these Aronia. In my experience. In adequate
rainfall yet sunny summers. Especially hotter ones.

  • Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 71, Issue 38, Heath Flax, 12/15/2008