nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Regarding Haskups

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Regarding Haskups
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 01:44:49 -0800 (PST)

Glad to help Glenn.  Most of my honeyberries have come from OGW.  I have found that there are substantial differences in flavor, productivity, form and vigor among the OGW honeyberry vars from them, but that it is also advantageous to have a variety of plants.

One other comment.  I have run into people that claim to not like the flavor, but my personal experience is that it is tempting to harvest them too early.  I wait until I see a plant start to drop a few berries, before picking (from that plant).  This results in best flavor, which is quite good.

Also, one of my plants insists on going dormant early each year, then throws a few leaves and flowers in the fall.  This year I had a single honeyberry harvested in late September so it wouldn't surprise me to find that we will eventually have a fall bearing honeyberry as well.