nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Press Pomace

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Press Pomace
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 20:56:51 -0600

Thanks to all for the feedback. I should have added more details. I plan
to use a traditional wood slatted pressing bucket. 15" tall X 10"I.D. I
agree with Don about the bucket with holes. One problem I see with a holy
bucket is that the pressing bag would extrude through the holes on the way
down, and then get sheared off by as the platen passes by. I would think
vertical slats would be the only way to get around this, if a bucket is
used.

I plan to use an 8 ton hydraulic jack. I know this is overkill, but the
jack with the throw I'm looking for, comes in 8 ton size or 3 ton size, so 8
ton it is. I plan to use a grinder that grinds very fine. Either Don's
garbage disposal, or the circular saw grinder. So far, I like the
advantages of the circular saw grinder, even though it's much more
expensive. When I saw a video of it eating through 5 gallons of apples in
20 seconds, it got my attention. I also like it that it shouldn't overheat
with a continous duty motor. And I have an extra 1/2 horse motor laying
around.

So with the above variables, I think I'm hearing the pulp will compress to
about 25% of it's original height?

Thanks,
Mark
KS