nafex - [NAFEX] Sumac syrup

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sumac syrup
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 08:26:44 -0600

Hector Black wrote, "We've used the berries of the staghorn sumac to make a kind of pink lemonade. Quite tasty. Berries can be dried. I wonder if other sumacs have this same quality."

Sumacs of the genus Rhus have that quality however Staghorn Sumac (Rhus hirta) is generally preferred for use. One word of caution, though, is that the stems are rich in tannin so you don't want to be steeping the whole head.
At Brambleberry Farm, we make/sell Sumac Syrup. We sell alot of it. It has a citrus-like flavor. Customers use it as an ice cream topper, on pancakes, as a glaze on chicken or duck, etc. I prefer it on my corn bread.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Sumac syrup, Jim Fruth, 12/01/2008