nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wild persimmon tasting

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wild persimmon tasting
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:22:31 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Mark,
Don't take out the tree.
I live and harvest wild American Persimmons (D. virginiana) from a number of
trees on my property. The fruit ripen at various times depending on sun,
soil conditions, and the particular tree. Size ranges from ping-pong ball to
golf ball size. Most have 4 seeds, a few have zero to 3 seeds - all seeds
are twice the length of a watermelon seed and are beige to dark brown. Some
are non-astringent on the tree, most need to turn from yellow/orange to
translucent orange to become non-astringent. I have learned to recognize on
each tree, when the fruit is 'ripe'. Now to flavor.
Each tree has a different flavor. Some are very good eaten out of hand, most
are not. The ones that don't taste sweet and complex as-picked are the ones
that make the very best persimmon pudding - I will be glad to post the recipe
- it is quite simple.
I have learned an easy way to separate pulp from skins/seeds using a woven
wire deep fryer basket, so I freeze a lot of pulp in one cup portions in
snack ziploc bags. This year I was overwhelmed with fruit, so I still have
over 100 lbs hanging on a few trees that I grew from seed collected from
selected heavy producing trees in the area - I will leave those to the
possums.