nafex - [NAFEX] crows, cows and assorted critters.........

  • From: Sheridan Shumway <rattler_mt@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] crows, cows and assorted critters.........
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 12:57:02 -0800 (PST)

on tough meat with stressed critters........if yah age it for awhile it helps
greatly. alot of hunters dont like the sharptail and sage grouse we have
around here cause they say they are really gamey and tough......however i gut
them and put them in the cooler rather quickly than place them in the extra
fridge out in the garage, whole, feathers, head and all.....for a week than
finish butchering them and cooking them......the meat is always tender and
fairly mild, so long as i gut them rather soon after shooting....

never had tree squirrel as they are rather uncommon and never tried the
ground squirrels we have around here cause most farmers put out
poison.....have eaten rabbit and go out of my way occasionally to shoot a
couple cottontails for the pot.....we eat alot of deer and when we get the
chance elk and speed goats(pronghorn). we like to hang the meat for a week or
so with the hide on if the garage is cool enough, if not we try to get them
cut into quarters and such before rigor sets in and age them in coolers full
of ice instead. we actively fish for walleye for the grill and lake trout for
the smoker.

several relatives have farms and growing up i was present for the killing
butchering of hundreds of livestock from chickens to beef.....i dont like
killing for the sake of killing though i tend to shoot alot of ground
squirrels due to them rearing up the roads at an uncles farm and of course
bugs in the garden......most everything else other than the odd coyote,
bobcat or fox winds up on the table after being killed......

thankfully i havent had big issues with fruit loss to critters other than
yellow jackets going after my raspberries....so far...

Sheridan S.
northeast Montana
zone 3/4

  • [NAFEX] crows, cows and assorted critters........., Sheridan Shumway, 11/16/2008