nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pH preference in pots

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pH preference in pots
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 02:26:46 +0000

Think too about water source. Much of the well water used for irrigating
pots is higher pH than rain water.

tc, sWI, lower 20s forecast, I'm ahead of the season only because I did less
this year!

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:51:36 -0500
From: alandhaigh
To: nafex
Subject: [NAFEX] pH preference in pots

When using typical potting mixtures, I was taught in hort-school that you
calibrate down one point so a plant that likes a pH of 6.5 in typical soil
would do best with a 5.5 pH in the artificial medium we call potting soil.
This is because the much higher level of organic matter in potting soil
changes the chemistry of nutrient availability. A deeper explanation than
that is beyond my present grasp.