nafex - [NAFEX] Meyers Lemon

  • From: "Harrick, Barbara" <b.harrick@ilslaunch.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Meyers Lemon
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 13:25:51 -0500

Hi Yasi. I have Meyer lemons and mandarin orange trees that are in pots.
I live in Northern VA zone 6b. All of the trees are inside right
now--full of oranges and lemons. They are in the pots year-round.

I have found that citrus will flower at the oddest times and sometimes
due to stress (bringing them in etc.) as well as leaf drop--they react
to environmental changes. I have read that this is normal--also that
the flowers at off times rarely "take".

My citrus is indoors on the ground floor in front of a north facing
sliding glass door--they don't get much light. (Actually when they are
outside, they are just on the other side of the same sliding glass door,
but get plenty of light--they are next to my strawberry patch which I
remember telling Bill G. that they all seem to get enough light on this
north side.)

I had them inside downstairs for several years and they did just fine.
Then I decided to give them more heat/light and I tried them upstairs
once in a SE facing window/warmer air temps and found they came out of
dormancy too quickly in the spring (too early to be moved outside),
flowered and then dropped all of the little oranges--it was so sad.

So, now I put them back downstairs (I have a split foyer, so they are
not in a basement) where it is colder (by 10 degrees from upstairs) and
they get little to no direct light. They still flower inside and form
fruits, but about a month later than when they were upstairs. I'm going
to say/guess that upstairs they bloomed in March and downstairs they
bloom in April--so they are still inside with flowers and viable fruit,
but only for a few weeks instead of 2 months--we can put everything out
here by May 1.

Now they flower later (April), I still use the small paintbrush and
fertilize which I understand is not entirely necessary, but what the
heck!

I also have a small humidifier in the center of my trees inside--this
seems to make all the difference when it comes to spider mites and I
haven't seen any scale either. Also, I noticed I had more spider mites
when the trees were upstairs in the warm, sunlit room.

I have the 2 following books and find them very good for general info as
they both have sections on container citrus gardening.

Citrus by Lance Walheim (Paperback - Dec 1, 1941)(this is the better
one)

All About Citrus & Subtropical Fruits (Ortho's All about) by Ortho Books
(Paperback - Jan 1, 1985)

Both are available on Amazon.com.

Barbara

Barbara Harrick
Senior Technical Editor/Writer
International Launch Services
1875 Explorer Street, Suite 700
Reston, VA 20190
office (571) 633-7430
fax (571) 633-7536

DISCLAIMER
This electronic message transmission contains information which may be
confidential or proprietary information belonging to ILS International
Launch Services, Inc. and/or Lockheed Khrunichev Energia International
Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or the
information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the original transmitter
immediately by phone or by e-mail and delete the original message and
any copies that may have been made of it.

Message: 2