nafex - Re: [NAFEX] When to harvest late-season apples?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] When to harvest late-season apples?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 16:01:49 -0600

At 12:36 PM 11/3/2008, Ginda wrote:
I'm jealous. I picked my first apple crop slightly under-ripe this year
because the critters had already consumed most of it, and it was clear it
wouldn't make it to 'ripe'.

I understand your frustration - it's been a constant battle, all season long, to beat the hooved rats(whitetail deer) to any windfalls/early drops, regardless of whether they were ripe or not - depending upon variety. The deer really liked Honeycrisp, Cox Orange Pippin, Cornish Gilliflower, MonArk, Jonagold, Cinnamon Spice, and Keiffer pear, but they did not seem to care for, and still don't seem to be enamored with Loid, Early Harvest, MacIntosh, Red Delicious, or Winesap.
Ther are still lots of early-dropped apples on the ground underneath the Winesap, ArkBlack and OF Limbertwig trees right now, but they're not cleaning them up (yet).
Had to fence in my Rosseyanka persimmon - it's loaded, but they were starting to pull fruits off, despite the fact that they're still firm and astringent.

Lucky

Sigh.
___
Ginda