nafex - [NAFEX] When to harvest late-season apples?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] When to harvest late-season apples?
  • Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 11:50:53 -0600

Please allow me to pick your collective brains.

I had no real problem figuring out when to pick and eat the early and mid-season apples, like Lodi, MonArk, Honeycrisp, Jonagold, etc., and I picked the last 10 gallons of Stayman Winesaps last weekend and put them into the fridge in the barn while they were at their peak.
But, now my question is...on the really late season apples, like Arkansas Black and Old-fashion Limbertwig(Black Limbertwig?), how long do you leave them on the tree, and at what ambient temperature will they be damaged?
I'm located about 70 miles NW of Nashville TN.

Thanks,

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7