nafex - [NAFEX] Weakly growing pear (or is this an oxymoron)?

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Weakly growing pear (or is this an oxymoron)?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:14:00 -0500

Alan, made an intriguing comment about using Braeburn apple, taking
advantage of its less vigorous growing habit:: "It's great to graft on
top of vigorous growers to form the last tier of scaffolds (so's
Goldrush)."

Can I also apply this strategy to pears? I planted a Magness on quince
root stock this past fall. It is growing like gangbusters, already over
12 feet high. I need a dwarf-sized tree, and see lots of summer pruning
in my future.

Is there a less vigorous, blight-resistant cultivar that I can use to
graft on top of this tree?.

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC

.

  • [NAFEX] apples with snap, Alan Haigh, 11/02/2008
    • [NAFEX] Weakly growing pear (or is this an oxymoron)?, Hilborn . E, 11/03/2008