nafex - Re: [NAFEX] ( Staking Trees )

  • From: "D Stubbs" <dsmndel@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] ( Staking Trees )
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 05:39:08 -0500

So far the most economical stakes I have found are 10 foot long 1/2" steel conduit. If I am replacing a broken wood stake and worry about cutting a tree's roots I hammer over the round end to a tapered point.
I am curious what other materials folk use for stakes, it can get expensive  with a lot of trees. I don't stake my seedling rootstocked apple trees but must stake my Bud9s - and my plums grafted on p. americana - I lost 3 one year right at the graft line on a windy day.
Del