nafex - Re: [NAFEX] kaki persimmon

  • From: "lester davis" <lhdavis8@knology.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] kaki persimmon
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:03:52 -0500

The fruit of Ichi will hang very well to 28 degrees, for a few hours, 30 degrees will make the fruit even better
over night.   The fruit will not get better of picked early
and allowed to color-up.

I do not like Hanafuyu, it is a fair fruit for eating,
does not keep well after picking.  Many years
it will have male blooms which causes many of
other trees to have seeded fruit.  Mine are not
dwarfing as listed in some catalogs.

If you like Ichi, then I would get Mekawa Jiro, which ripens two weeks earlier, colors-up
beautifully and is almost as sweet as Ichi.  Jiro
ripens in between the two.

Saijo is a fine astrigent variety, ripens two
later than Ichi and can stand cold temperatures
with no damage to the fruit.

L. Davis
zone 8A-B
Columbus, GA