nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Extending fruit storage life (Jim Fruth)

  • From: "EmailUser samurphy" <samurphy@isp.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Extending fruit storage life (Jim Fruth)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:43:37 -0500

Jim Fruth wrote:
> Sam Murphy asked, "What is the best way to make them (apples) last if there
> is no room in the refrigerator and the
> basement never gets very cool?"
>
>     Store them in "Debbie Meyer Green Bags."  These are (reusable) plastic
> bags that absorb and remove ethylene gas.  So far, I've only used them for
> extending the life of ripe pears and keeping bananas as fresh as the day I
> bought them.  Don't throw them away after one use because their effect lasts
> a l-o-n-g time......

I've seen those advertised on TV. I always assume things advertised that
way don't work. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that they DO work.
I looked them up online and bookmarked this site:
https://www.greenbags.com/?cid=381252

The bags are available several places including Amazon.com   There are mixed reviews on produce in general for storage up to 1 month.  Apples are not included in the evaluations.  Have you tried them for long periods?
I've heard of using newspaper to wrap pears for storage.  Would that work in the same way for apples?
Shirley