nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Extending fruit storage life

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Extending fruit storage life
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:36:07 -0400

Jim Fruth wrote:
Sam Murphy asked, "What is the best way to make them (apples) last if there is no room in the refrigerator and the
basement never gets very cool?"

Store them in "Debbie Meyer Green Bags." These are (reusable) plastic bags that absorb and remove ethylene gas. So far, I've only used them for extending the life of ripe pears and keeping bananas as fresh as the day I bought them. Don't throw them away after one use because their effect lasts a l-o-n-g time......

I've seen those advertised on TV. I always assume things advertised that way don't work. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that they DO work.
I looked them up online and bookmarked this site:
https://www.greenbags.com/?cid=381252

I wonder how they really work. If they absorb ethylene, I would think they would reach capacity and not last very long. Maybe they last a long time for bananas but not as long for apples, which are famous for releasing lots of ethylene?? Well, the only way to find out would be for me to try them out myself.

Steve in the Adirondacks