nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Triple Crown blackberry-keeping seedlings out

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: <phainopepla@yahoo.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Triple Crown blackberry-keeping seedlings out
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 21:06:05 -0500

Michael,

This discussion reminds me of something I've been wondering for a long time.
How does one keep unwanted seedlings out of the blackberry rows?
Invariably, many berries drop from the plants, in spite of the best
intentions of orchard sanitation :-) What is to keep these berries from
germinating new crosses in the rows, thereby mingling and contaminating the
improved cultivars originally planted? Will the rows eventually become a
bunch of crosses?

Mark
KS