nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Cherries for the North

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: skkewing@yahoo.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sweet Cherries for the North
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 04:45:48 -0400

Sarah, I predict that Biga and its colleagues will not do well for you unless you get a few mild winters in succession. A few years ago I visited Ken Taylor and saw his Biga tree; it looked as if it was not long for this world and he told me it had taken damage in severe winters there near the boundary of zone 5b and 5a. Ken's climate ratings tend to be a little optimistic and I think are not on the basis of test winters but average or even favourable ones.

Biga apparently originated from a Bing seed planted a little below Quebec City. I am not sure that it is fully hardy in test winters there.

Ken tells me that Cerise de l'Isle, an old sour cherry which he found in his area, is highly resistant to voles and I think on that basis it should be more widely tested. I don't think however that it is likely to survive long in zone 3. I'd say plant it with some confidence in zone 5 on favourable soils, test in zone 4 if you are willing to take a chance.

Some years ago the Summerland station of Agriculture Canada published a booklet on BC fruit cultivars. It listed sweet cherry cultivars by hardiness groups as revealed at the station. They considered Hudson (Geneva station, NY) and Salmo (Summerland cultivar) to be the two hardiest sweet cherry cultivars, in a class by themselves. I'd say they would be worth trying on favourable soils in zone 5, but in more severe conditions would likely depend on protection or a run of mild winters.

In places with open winters I expect that rootstock hardiness would be a significant factor. Some years ago the East Malling station in England experimented with clones of Prunus X Dropmoreana, a complex hybrid originated by Frank Skinner at Dropmore, Manitoba in I think zone 2b. My recollection from an annual report of that station from the 1970's is that some clones were not fully compatible with a wide range of sweet cherry cultivars, but it might be worth trying. I don't think it is dwarfing. I think the Gisela series might be hardy in zone 5. Prunus fruticosa might serve as a nurse root; apparently it is compatible with sweet cherry but tends to be overgrown after a few years.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Sarah Kehler Ewing wrote:
I had trouble with mice girdling trees the first year and have kept putting hardware
cloth collars (about 18" height and 6" diameter) around the trees ever since,
but the addition of too many cats seems to mean that the mice don't get into the
unmulched parts of my garden where I currently have about 2000 fruit tree seedlings.

Most black sweet cherries available in Canada are actually a 1983 Canadian
introduction called 'Lapins' which is 'Van' x 'Stella' and was originally
trialed as a Bing pollinator and became it's replacement in commercial
orchards. I found 'Lapins' at our local Canadian Tire store and had to put
in two trees last spring: this spring one leafed out right to the tip and the
other died back by half; it had a gap in the windbreak to it's Northwest
which is where our prevailing winds come from and last winter hit the extreme
cold temperatures that we get (-45 F). There are a few hobby growers up here
who have gotten fruit off of their 'Lapins' trees in spite of it being listed
as zone 5 so I have high hopes even though I am further out from Edmonton
than they are which usually means about a zone colder than they are. This
spring I put in a 'Biga' and a 'Binga' which are supposed to be zone 3-4
hardy black sweet cherries (Windmill Point Farms in Quebec) that
I can only assume are 'Bing' seedlings named by someone without much
imagination! With that idea in mind I keep trying to grow 'Bing' seeds and
have had no success to date. I don't have more any actual info on 'Biga' and
'Binga' and if anyone does, I'd love to hear it.

As for 'sour/semi-sweet' cherries, I have 'Evans' (of course: the Dr. Evans who discovered and propagated them lives only a few miles away!), 'Cerise de L'Ile' (a self fertile Quebec heirloom I added this spring), 'Lake' and 'Raven' black cherries (cluster sweet cherries, not chokecherries, looking for more info on these too), 'Rose', and all the University of Saskachewan cherries: 'Carmine Jewel', 'Crimson Passion', 'Valentine', 'Romeo', 'Juliet', and 'Cupid'. If you have a chance to grow the U of S cultivars: jump with both feet! They are super hardy (at least zone 2 and my 20+ trees have not died back here in the 4 years we have had them) and they are very tasty: much more flavour and sugar than a Bing' although they have more acid too which is why they are generally listed as semi-sweet. They make super jam, pie, ice cream topping, et cetera, and we love to eat them off the tree.
I'm also planning to add the zone 5 black sweet cherry 'Stella' (also
produces for other people I know up here), the Mazza cherries ('Mazy' and
'Maza', ditto on imagination, kudo's for species clarity!), and anything else
I can find next year!

Sarah
Zone 3b

hello I am writing from z 3a in n .minnesota, what sweet
cherries do you
hope to grow? all I have accomplished so far are
Evans,which are great, but
not really a sweet cherry
when propagating any seeds in the ground *I* always have to
put them in old
window screen to keep the mice from eating them
Del Stubbs

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Sarah Kehler Ewing