nafex - [NAFEX] Chest fridge, was additional questions on storage

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Chest fridge, was additional questions on storage
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:19:01 -0400

It may be that a special thermostat is needed.
See
<http://www.bulditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/chest_fridge.pdf>

and see the comments at
<http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/07/man_retrofits_f.php>

A thermostat kit and the complete item are available at
<http://mtbest.net/freezer-to-fridge-thermostat.html>

I don't know if the Australians use 50 cycle or 60 cycle power, or whether it makes a difference.

Maybe you could find all the equipment in the States.

There are several commercial chest refrigerators sold, and there must be technicians around the U.S. who know how they work and how to repair them, therefore I imagine how to build them.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:
First of all thank you to all responding to my red-fleshed apple query.

I just ran came into the contact information of some 1920s-30s old-timers
from the area who may have some idea, so I'll post to the list if I find out
anything definitive.

So I was out looking at refrigerators, specifically for apple and pear storage.
I bought one, but even at it coldest setting we are dealing with 38-40
degrees or so. And I simply have no experience with the following but
suspect some of you may. If you buy an upright freezer, on the lower
settings can you get it into a more desirable range, or will it simply freeze
everything on its lowest setting?

Thoughts?