nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gingko Seeds

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gingko Seeds
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 10:13:21 -0700 (PDT)

I have enjoyed eating gingko seeds, but I still
wouldn't want a female tree anywhere near my house.

> First
> there is the nasty smelling flesh to remove.

It removes itself after the fruits fall, and the flesh
rots off the nuts. I've gathered the mostly-clean nuts
once the flesh is gone, washed them, pierced them with
a knife, and microwaved them as a snack, like I cook
chestnuts. I didn't notice any particular bad odor
about them. I thought they were tasty. They're quite
different from other nuts. I generally like other nuts
better, though.

Melissa