nafex - [NAFEX] Euro plums in Kentucky

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Euro plums in Kentucky
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 06:09:12 -0400

Eddy, I have no idea how Euros would do in Kentucky beyond postings and other exchanges I've had with more southern growers.  Their comments are not encouraging.  The Europeans are less likely to be damaged from spring frosts here as they bloom at least a week later than "Japanese" types.  I guess other members will pitch in more helpfully on this question.  Here the Euros are more susceptible to plum curculio- nothing a little Imidan can't handle.  It's hard to stick Surround to plums but it can be done.  The Euros also can be magnets for brown rot, but new fungicides can control that with a spray or 2 completed a month before ripening.