nafex - [NAFEX] white peaches

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] white peaches
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:00:23 -0400

Alan, I also find I generally like the yellow (and red) peaches more than the white ones. This year I had some white peaches which made me revise my opinion up a bit however: the Silver Logan (but it got rot badly) and the "Oldmixon Free Improved". Plus I like several of the white-fleshed "donut" peaches a lot. All of these have some common flavor which is very good, and which is not mild like my Georgia Belle/ Carolina Belle/Stark Summer Pearl. The closest thing that comes to my mind is a very ripe honeydew melon, but without the cloying element of melons.

I had bad rot problems on several peach varieties this year. Just today I had to remove half of my Sweet Bagel peaches due to rot. The Lemon Free also got it very badly, plus the Silver Logan as mentioned above.

Scott