nafex - Re: [NAFEX] crabapple ID

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] crabapple ID
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:05:49 -0500

Could be Dolgo - are they elongate or round? Seems like I saw in print, somewhere, that 'Dolgo' is the Russian word for 'long', and Dolgo's fruits are elongate rather than round.
But, it could also be any number of other large-fruited ornamental crabs.
'Callaway', a chance seedling that was selected from a group of M.floribunda seedlings by an astute nurseryman at Callaway Gardens, is a favorite for eating-out-of-hand in my family. Heavy bearer of large clusters of 1-1.5" tasty little crabapples, often taking on an unkempt semi-weeping character, due to the weight of its fruit load. At one point in time, some folks lumped it into the 'edible crab' category, but it's largely been relegated to 'ornamental' status, despite the fruit quality. My kids and I fill our pockets with Callaway fruits and munch away.