nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Deadly Pathogen Could Destroy Florida Citrus Industry

  • From: Betty Mayfield <bmayfield@opusnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Deadly Pathogen Could Destroy Florida Citrus Industry
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:16:43 -0700

Since the New York Times requires a login to read a story, I found a source in Google that had copied it - try the Free Internet Press: http://freeinternetpress.com/story.php?sid=18117

But while I was looking, I ran across another NYT citrus  trouble story, "A tiny insect that apparently hitched a ride to Florida from West Africa aboard Hurricane Andrew in 1992 has suddenly begun infesting citrus groves throughout the state, sucking the life from orange, grapefruit, lemon and lime leaves and drying up profits for the beleaguered $8 billion-a-year citrus industry." But the date of the story on the citrus leaf miner was April 14, 1994.

Citrus farming must be a tough way to make a living.

Betty Mayfield
northwest Oregon