nafex - [NAFEX] Hungarian apple ID?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hungarian apple ID?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 10:08:36 -0400

Through most of my trip the apples in the shops and hotels looked familiar.
Often they were labeled with familiar names, such as Jonagold. But in my
hotel in Budapest they had an apple at the breakfast buffet that I didn't
recognize. It was small, perhaps 2.5" across, roughly spherical, mostly
red over a yellowish-green background, with prominent pores. The flesh is
whitish, perhaps a little yellow or green, and soft, like a McIntosh. (but
not at all mealy) . The flavor was very good, in the same way McIntosh is
good, although it didn't taste quite the same. The skin is thin and soft.

I asked what it was, but had trouble with the accent of the man who
answered. It sounded like 'europa' or 'jupiter', and might be something in
Hungarian. Does anyone care to guess what it was?

I have photos I'd be happy to e-mail in request.

Thanks,
___
Ginda