nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 09:25:31 -0700 (PDT)

Jim,

Commercial machine harvesters don't have trouble destroying the canes as you
describe for one simple reason, they don't force the primocanes to the ground
as you do. They let the primocanes stay erect and they go through the
machine as does the rest of the plant. The machine harvester goes over the
row shaking the plant and catching the fruit as it falls so any canes that
are erect just go through the harvester mostly unharmed. On the trailing
blackberries, the growers just make sure that the canes are on the ground in
the rows rather than the paths so that they aren't damaged by the harvester.
There is some acreage here in Oregon in alternate year production but most
growers are on an every year system.

Having said that, the machine harvesters are an expensive investment and they
just wouldn't be feasible for such a small operation as yours.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com