nafex - [NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blueberries vs. Blackberries
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 08:40:50 -0500

Mark Angermayer wrote, "What I don't understand is why growers aren't putting in more blackberries."

Mark, I understand very well. I don't get scratched up when I pick blueberries.

Most of my blackberries are upright varieties. The seven foot high fruiting canes are trellised on twine horizontals and most of the primocanes are growing up in front of them. Before I can pick berries, I've got to get the primocanes out of the way. To do that, I put on special armor for my sleeves and puncture-proof gloves. Bunches of primocanes are gathered together in bundles, forced to the ground (some break) and weighted down with heavy fence posts. The bundles need to be spaced apart because, when I pick, I step over each bundle to a bare space of ground where I can stand without crushing primocanes. Then, bundles from the next row need to be meshed with the bundles of the first row - I've got eight rows. The particularly troublesome primocanes are those that grow upright inter-meshing with the fruiting canes; I have to, somehow, tie these out of the way to prevent getting scratched when I'm picking.
Now who wants to do all that and pick too? I only do it to avoid the high price of blackberry fruit for our jelly.
These blackberries need to be hand picked because, if they are to be machine picked, the primocanes would have to be removed because the picking machine would destroy them by continually running over them. If machine picked, you'd need two patches because, when you remove the primocanes, that patch won't bear again until two years from now.
When primocane bearing blackberries become commonplace, machines can pick them and the price will plummet. In the mean time, we'll keep picking by hand wishing they were as convenient to harvest as blueberries.

How does anyone else harvest their blackberries?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: