nafex - [NAFEX] Squirrels

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Squirrels
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:42:10 EDT

Hello Alan,

If your trees are spaced such that they can't travel from tree top to tree top you can wrap an aluminum sheet about 1 meter long around the tree. Bob Foncannon who had a commercial carpathian orchard in Michigan purchased (cheap) al. sheets from a printer that were used in the printing process. Mid summer he loosely nailed them around the trunks which provided a meter area where the tree rat couldn't get his climbing nails into. After harvest the sheets were removed and stored until the next season.  Every tree in his orchard was summer wrapped.

For those who would feed them hot lead: I use 22 CB shorts in a single shot rifle. CB shorts use a gun powder that that takes a smidgen longer to burn. Thus the report is low (4 neighbors within 300 meters each side, don't complain about hearing my shooting), muzzle speed is less (reducing distance of travel if I miss), and is lethal.

Jerry