nafex - [NAFEX] black walnuts, peaches and apricots

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] black walnuts, peaches and apricots
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 16:41:30 -0400

I have a site I manage with shallow soil and two huge northern pecans right next to where I've planted peach trees.  The trees took off at first as I cut back all competing roots some distance, but after a few years they went into decline.  Now I trench around the trees, double digging with the longest bladed "King of Spades" spade annually, and the trees are doing reasonably well.  The black roots with that distinctive juglianos smell permeate the soil.

Before I decided the issue was alleopathy I replaced a young dead peach tree with an apricot and it did so well I planted 2 more and seven years since planting the first all goes well with the three with no trenching.

Is anyone out there aware of evidence that peach trees are immune to this soil toxin because this is not the only site I've seen an apparent problem growing peaches in proximity to black walnuts or related species.  On the site with the northern pecans I seem to have a problem with raspberries but not blackberries.