nafex - [NAFEX] Illini Hardy

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Illini Hardy
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:44:30 -0500

I bought one Illini Hardy blackberry plant 10-12 years ago. The few
canes die every winter and grow a few canes in the spring. Never had
a blackberry. This year the plant sent up about 12 vigorous canes
and today I see flowers on some of the new canes. I don't understand
what is happening. Blackberries grow fruit on overwintered canes and
I cut the dead canes from last year off this spring. Could the
bottom of a cane or canes next to the ground have survived the winter
and produced shoots with flowers?