nafex - [NAFEX] Yellowjackets

  • From: halegp@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Yellowjackets
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 23:12:49 -0400

Jwlehman@aol.com writes:

"I have never seen a Yellow Jacket nest hanging in the open where they can be
destroyed with a long pole. Sounds to me like what we call "Paper Nest" wasps.
The only place I've ever seen Yellow Jacket nests is in the ground. When I
find one I simply dust the entrance well with Sevin powder in the late evening
or early morning. They crawl though it coming and going and within 24 hours the
nest activity is dead.

Problem is finding all the nests.

Jerry"

In the DFW area of North Texas what we call yellowjackets are paper wasps and they build in the eaves of building and in my dern greenhouse.  They always seem to build in my greenhouse exactly where I am going to put my hand when I clean the tables.  I know that in Mississippi what they call yellowjackets nest in the ground but I have never seen one of the insects there to compare with ours.  We might be talking about several different varmints, or they just might have different habits in different areas.  Depending on how their ma raised them I guess.  Someone else wrote about being unable to find the "queen".  I didn't know that wasps had queens.  Do they?

 Gordon Hale
Grand Prairie, Texas

  • [NAFEX] Yellowjackets, halegp, 07/19/2008