nafex - [NAFEX] yellow jacket traps

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] yellow jacket traps
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 17:09:12 -0400

Home Depot usually sells a simple reusable trap this time of the year that I refill with Chinese apple juice concentrate instead of expensive lures.  No meat necessary, works fine but you'll need at least fifty of the suckers to make a big dent.  You dump out the drowned wasps about once every 5 days.

Less conveniently but much more economically you can cut 1 litre  plastic soda bottles a couple of inches below the top and invert it into a volcano shape.  Fill with a quarter can of apple juice concentrate and 3 parts water and place all around your property.  Works as well as the commercial trap but is difficult to hang from trees which is what I use them for.

If I hang 2 of them on a medium small free-standing fruit tree they usually stop damaging fruit and become much less a threat while harvesting.

  • [NAFEX] yellow jacket traps, Alan Haigh, 07/18/2008