nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Fungicide

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Fungicide
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:55:44 -0400

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. I have about 2 miles of water directly west of my yard then miles of native forest beyond that. I figure the number of disease spores drifting into my yard is less than the average person's yard (perhaps with neglected apple trees just upwind). If I can keep things under control in my own yard, I should be in good shape. This is the kind of information I signed onto this group for. I should have done it years ago!

Steve

Mark & Helen Angermayer wrote:
Hi Steve,

My experience with apple scab is mostly from reading, but what you describe
seems to match up quite well with the literature. Scab infections start
with "primary" infections that result from last years leaf litter, fruit
drops, and infected twigs. The scab fungus waits till the spring to release
the primary spores. Interestingly, the fungus waits till a good wet period
to release its spores, then it's pretty much done. In other words, the leaf
litter is like a roman candle. Once it's shot, it's done. So if you can
protect your apples from the primary infection (if I recall from the period
from tight cluster to first cover) then there is no more inoculum left to
infect your apples. However, if the current season's crop gets infected,
the infected apples on the tree will continue to release spores all summer
long and it becomes a constant battle to keep scab from spreading. It also
means you'll have more primary inoculum for next year. So your early
fungicide treatments probably were protecting you from scab in past years.

No idea why Manzate has such a lengthy withdrawal time. As you suggest, it
doesn't have any systemic action and is considered a protectant fungicide
with about 24 hours kickback activity. Maybe it's a real 'sticky' fungicide
that just takes a long time to wash all the residue off.

Mark
KS
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve" <>