nafex - [NAFEX] Opuntia

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Opuntia
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:18:20 -0500

There was extended conversation about edible cacti last week, and I found the below snippet in an ezine I receive, GMPRO, today.  Thought it might be of interest
Doreen Howard

Cactus could help to power Chile companies
Methane gas produced from the decomposing cactus Opuntia ficus-indica could help Chile resolve a shortage of natural gas, reports Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Schwager Energy plans to use the methane from the plants to produce a natural-gas substitute. Codelco, the world's largest copper supplier in Chile, plans to use the methane to help power its Ventanas copper smelter by the end of next year. The energy company may eventually supply as much as 30% of the smelter's gas needs. The cactus, which will be raised on land not suitable for other ag crops, grows quickly and uses little water.

  • [NAFEX] Opuntia, Doreen Howard, 07/14/2008